Thursday, February 13, 2014

Fun Writing App

There's a fun online writing tool that many folks have been tweeting/blogging about lately, and I wanted to chime in and echo just how entertaining is is. Here's the link to I Write Like, an app that analyzes your writing style and word choice to determine which "famous writer" your work most resembles. I put "famous writer" in quotes because I'm not sure how large their database of recognized authors is.

To use I Write Like, you simply paste a few pages of your ms into the box that appears on the page, and then you'll see your results. I experimented by using samples from all over each of my novels (pages 1-5, pages 100-103, for instance), and got consistent results for each novel each time. That's impressive!

For my book Fear the Drowning Deep, a YA historical fantasy, I got:


I write like
Neil Gaiman
I Write Like. Analyze your writing!

For my book The Goblins' Price, a YA high fantasy, I got:


I write like
J. R. R. Tolkien
I Write Like. Analyze your writing!

What's really awesome about this, at least to me, is that these two amazing gentlemen are easily the greatest influences on my writing. I know this is just a silly app for fun, but still, it's nice to think a little of their magic might have rubbed off on me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment